Slow Cooker Lasagna

The title says it all.

Moderator: Kizmypatooti

Forum rules
- NO spamming allowed. Period. End of story.
- Aggressive, disruptive or malicious post content will not be tolerated and be removed from the boards (and possibly so will the poster).
- When registering on our forum, PLEASE use your recognized ingame name.
Kizmypatooti

Slow Cooker Lasagna

Postby Kizmypatooti » Sun May 29, 2016 4:00 pm

1 lb Italian-style sausage meat, mild or spicy (about 4-5 links, split the sausage open and scrape the meat out)
1 large carrot, peeled and finely grated
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 oz mushrooms, finely chopped (portobello works great)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 cups of your favorite tomato/spaghetti sauce ****see note below***
12 uncooked lasagna noodles (DO NOT use the oven ready type)
1 cup fresh, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese (we're a Romano cheese family up here) .. and DON'T use that stuff you buy off the shelf that comes in a shaker container.
1 container (475 g) ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (add more if you like things cheesy !)
Salt and pepper

1. In a bowl, combine the sausage, carrot, celery, onion, mushrooms, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Spread 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce at the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with a layer of noodles (slightly overlap the noodles) and break them, if necessary.
3. Cover with one third of the meat mixture.
4. Cover with 1 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. Cover with a layer of noodles and add the ricotta cheese.
5. Follow with a layer of noodles. Add one third of the meat mixture. <<< if you like extra cheesy lasagna, here is the layer to add the extra cheese.
6. Cover with 1 cup of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese.
7. Cover with noodles and repeat with the remaining meat, 1 cup of tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. Finish with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours.

**Note: when choosing the tomato or spaghetti sauce keep in mind if you use something *hot and spicy* .. that will be the flavor the sauce takes on. With the use of ricotta cheese I prefer something more of a garden style spaghetti sauce.. my personal brand name choice is *Classico* and I use 3 cups of their Sun-dried Tomato and 1 cup Spicy Red Pepper (just to kick it up a notch)
Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad.
If at first you don't succeed , hide all evidence that you tried.
I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Return to “Da Dawghouse Cookbook & Bartender's Guide”